Walking down Abbey Street you pass the two doors which were entrances to the Town Jail (appropriately in black), the Left hand side for ladies being twice the size of the gents room at the Right hand side, the former Town Hall opened by the Duke of Buccleuch, and the simple plaque commemorating the event with the rose and mel on it (copied, in error, in reverse by the sculptor, as he was working from a seal), below the arms of Bishop Turnbull as a shield, the town bell and flagpole above the former Town Hall, the scrolled plaque (1900) when CH - Charles Hamilton married CK, and at the bottom, past Morow Gardens, above the shop on the corner the splendid golden Good Shepherd weathervane.
Opposite are the Priorwood Gardens, in the care of the National Trust for Scotland, with a corner stone (instead of a name plate) above the entrance with '1660' on one side and 'IW' on the other. Note also the name 'Morow Gardens'. At the corner of the National Trust shop, note the decoration on the sandstone blocks - deeper cut is "droving", shallower cut is "brooching", both done by chisel and mel to let the rain drip down slowly.
The Trimontium Walk: Previous Page Next Page