Standing 162 feet high, on a 781 foot hill, and visible for miles around, this landmark was erected by the 6th Marquis of Lothian between 1815 and 1824. The first attempt collapsed in 1816 during the course of construction, and the whole build was restarted the following year, to a different design.
Finally completed in 1824, the viewing platform was added in 1867. The inscription on the monument reads:
"To the Duke of Wellington and the British Army, William Kerr, VI Marquis of Lothian and his Tenantry dedicated this monument".
Extensively restored in 1994-5 with the assistance of a grant from Historic Scotland, access is restricted, but the views from the base are some of the finest in the Borders - when the sun shines.
Back to Stage Two: St. Boswells to Harestanes