The Chain Bridge
The bridge was built to replace the ferry which crossed the Tweed at this point. The 11th Earl of Buchan opened the bridge, which he had conmmissioned, on 1st August 1817, but unfortunately it only lasted four months, before being blown away in January 1818. After reconsideration of the original design, a replacement was built, which lasted until 1838, when it, too, suffered from the forces of nature, and collapsed.
The present bridge was built as its replacement, in 1872, with money donated by Lady Grizell Baillie to allow Dryburgh villagers to cross the river to attend church at St Boswells, or the Free Church at Newtown St Boswells.
Back to: Dryburgh Village