Construction of the Abbey was started about 1150 by a group of monks of the Premonstratensian Order (aka White Canons), who came from Alnwick, as part of the abbey building programme approved by King David 1. Along with Kelso, Jedburgh and Melrose it was part of the greatest building programme which the church had ever seen in Scotland, with each of the buildings being the home of a different order of monks.
Unfortunately, as with all Borders buildings of any age, including the four Abbeys, Dryburgh was the target of each and every English army which crossed the border and headed up the Tweed. No sooner had the worst of the damage been repaired than it happened all over again. By 1600, the building had been abandoned as a working abbey.
Within the precincts of the abbey are buried Sir Walter Scott and Field Marshal the Earl Haig.
The ruins have been secured and are in the safe-keeping of Historic Scotland.
Back to: Dryburgh Village